International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction
13 October marks the International day for Disaster Risk Reduction and celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters and raising awareness about the importance of building resilience towards the risks that they face.
In the EU funded programme Prevention, preparedness and response- to natural and man-made disasters in the Eastern Partnership countries (PPRD East 3), we work to strengthen disaster risk reduction and crises management in the Eastern Partnership countries and to promote regional cooperation with the EU Civil Protection Mechanism. This autumn and winter, we welcome you to join us for a series of Disaster Risk Management Webinars.
Webinar #2 Inter-agency coordination and public awareness in the Swedish crisis management system
Date: Wednesday 3 November, 12-13 CET
Presenters: Susanne Axmacher, Programme Manager, National and Civil Protection Operations Section and Josefin Barck, Project Manager Crisis Communication, Response and Operations Department, both from the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB)
The webinar aims to provide an understanding of the decentralized Swedish Crisis Management system and role of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) in crisis prevention, preparedness and response, with focus on inter-agency coordination and crisis communication and communication with the public. Good practices and lessons learned will be shared. The following will be discussed:
- Inter-agency coordination at the national level as a main responding mechanism in Swedish crisis Management
- Fundamental principles and practices of crisis communication and communication with the public
- The role of crisis communication in crisis management and response at the national level in the Swedish crisis management system
- How to integrate an intersectional perspective of cross cutting issues such as gender, age, ethnicity and socio-economic background to crisis management response and crisis communication
After the webinar, the participants will be able to;
- Have an overall understanding of the Swedish crisis management system
- Have an understanding of the methodology and tools of inter-agency coordination as a part of crisis response in the Swedish crisis- management system
- Have an understanding of the importance of crisis-communication and the methods and tools used to communicate with the public
- Give examples on how to integrate cross-cutting issues into crisis management and crisis communication
Discussion questions to consider:
- How is the Swedish Crisis Management System different from that of other countries?
- How can Inter-Agency Coordination be effectively used in crisis management and response?
- How can Crisis Communication build trust of the crisis management system with the public?
Swedish Crisis Information Website: www.krisinformation.se